Thursday, April 26, 2012

Old Barns of Grand Teton National Park

Barn & Bison


On my first visit to Grand Teton National Park, back around 1992 or 1993, my daughters and I were traveling with my Mother and Father in their motorhome.  We had picked up a small pamphlet in Jackson that explained where to find all of the iconic photo locations in the park.  Dad tried so hard to convince me that we should go to the barns on what is called "Mormon Row", but I wasn't interested!  Somehow I had this peculiar notion about what I did and didn't want to photograph in the Tetons, and it probably ran mostly along the lines of Ansel Adams' famous black and white image taken from the Snake River Overlook.  (You can see my previous post of a couple of weeks back for my images taken more recently from that spot.)

Thankfully, I guess that I've become slightly more open minded over the last 20-something years, or at least I've learned to enjoy photographing a few more spots that I stubbornly resisted back then!  Now I always enjoy coming to this spot, even though I've been there many times before.


It is not unusual to find Bison grazing in this area of the park, sometimes in large herds.  On this particular morning, several passed back and forth through my view, but this one fit my composition best.


Sunny Morning- Grand Teton N.P.

Both of the barns above are located within a quarter mile or less from each other.  I've photographed this spot at sunrise before, but I really like it better later in the morning when all of the detail in the barn is well illuminated.  In retrospect, perhaps a few puffy white clouds in the sky might add to the composition, but this just gives me a reason to come back again sometime to this park.


I hope all of my friends will enjoy these images, and that you'll also get a chance to visit this spot.
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment