Thursday, April 12, 2012

Canyonlands National Park (North Section)

           -An arch even better than Arches for Photography?
Which is to say, does Canyonlands National Park have an arch equal to its nearby neighbor, Arches National Park?  For me, it’s a moot question- they’re both great places to visit and photograph.
       Sunrise- Mesa Arch

   Mesa Arch is located on the edge of a canyon on the east side of the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands.  At sunrise, on cloudless mornings, the warm sunlight strikes the red rock beneath the arch, reflecting a warm orange glow on the bottom side of the arch.
   Mesa Arch is an extremely popular sunrise destination for photographers, especially at peak months in the fall.  On my last visit there, I decided that I wanted more photos of the left side of the arch, so I got there about 2 hours before sunrise to make sure that I got the spot that I wanted.  I was too late- the left side was already full of photographers, and I had to settle for shooting on the right side of the arch.
Tech info:  Fuji  GSW 690 II, 65mm lens, Velvia. 
    Mesa Arch (left side, after sunrise)
   It’s not always crowded at Mesa Arch, however.  On the trip that I shot the above photo in late June, I was the only person there when I arrived at the arch before sunrise.  As the sky began to lighten just a bit in the east, I began to hear something swooping over my head.  I soon realized that it was a group of bats having a feeding frenzy catching insects.
   I was struck with a note of fear.  Just how far north do (sometimes rabid) vampire bats live?  I hitched up my photo vest to cover the back of my neck, and backed several yards away from my tripod.  After a few minutes of imagining that I was about to be the next meal for a blood-thirsty bat, I heard a sound on the trail.  “flip-flop-flip-flop-flip-flop…”  Two teenage girls in flip-flop sandals, shorts, and sleeveless shirts popped over the rise.  One exclaimed “EEEEEWWWWW-Cool!  Bats!”  So much for the ego of the “macho” landscape photographer!
       False Kiva
   There are other good photo destinations in Canyonlands, too.  False Kiva is on the western side of the island in the sky district.  It’s a moderate hike to reach this site.  On my visit there, the rock cairns that mark the trail were hard for me to spot as I got close to my destination.  I had just given up in defeat without finding the spot, but as I was leaving, I spotted the cairns that I’d overlooked earlier.  Luckily, I was able to find the spot after all.  I'd like to go back again sometime when there are more dramatic clouds in the sky.
Tech info:  Canon 40D, 12-24 Tokina, polarizer.  Multiple exposures combined in Photomatix HDR post-processing to control brightness in the sky and bring out the clouds.
       Ancient Grainery- Aztec Butte

   This photo taken near the top of Aztec Butte is admittedly a work-in-progress, but I included it here because it's perhaps one of the less frequently photographed spots in Canyonlands.  The extreme contrast between the northwest sky and the grainery under the overhang is a challenge for my admittedly modest post-processing skills.  The above image was shot on transparency film, and I’d like to try it again someday using all-digital capture to see if I like the result better.  There may also be better times of the year for this spot, for getting more light back under the overhang.  If at first you don't succeed, try, try again...
Tech info:  Nikon F3, 19mm Vivitar, Velvia.  Bracketed exposures scanned and combined in HDR.
    Dead Horse Point State Park
   Dead Horse Point State Park is technically outside of Canyonlands NP, but since they are virtually next-door neighbors, it always seems a shame to go to Canyonlands without stopping at Dead Horse too.  It overlooks the Colorado River as it meanders between this park and the east edge of Canyonlands.
   Tech info:  Hasselblad 500 C/M, 80mm Zeiss, polarizer, Velvia.


   I hope these photos will help readers appreciate the Island in the Sky District of Canyonlands National Park as much as I always enjoy this park.
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment