Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Night Sky in the San Juan Mountains

Ridgway State Park,  Milky Way

On my recent trip to the San Juan mountains, I decided to try sleeping in the back of my Nissan Frontier pickup under a camper shell.  The air was particularly cold and clear one night, and I could see the stars shining very brightly out the window of my camper shell, so I got up and took a few photos from my campsite, right beside my pickup.  Here are the results.

Tech info:  Canon 5D II, 50mm lens, 10 seconds at f1.8, ISO 6400.







5D II, 24 mm lens, iso 6400, 25 seconds at f2.8

For those of you who might be considering a trip to the Ridgway, Colorado area, Ridgway State Park has what I consider to be excellent facilities.  The electric hookups in the campground enabled me to plug in my electric blanket and a very small portable electric heater to keep warm on nights when the temperature dipped well below freezing.  I also met some very nice fellow campers there...Nick and Amy, if you give me your address in the comments, I'll send you a print of your favorite.

1 comment:

  1. I love these star pictures!!!! These are absolutely incredible. It's been a WILD year for all things in the sky! We saw a huge fireball of some type in early September and John was able to find a website to record it. We were them able to view all accounts of it from different angles. A meteorite hit a house in Ohio last week unfortunately disseminating it completely. I can't wait to see what happens with ISON!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete