Saturday, June 29, 2013

Springtime in Grand Teton National Park (part 2)

Sunrise over Jackson Lake

This view is from the picnic area that serves both the cabins and the campground at Colter Bay on Jackson Lake, and is located only about 100 yards from the Visitor Center.  For those planning a future trip to the Tetons, this is our favorite spot to stay- certainly more convenient than staying at a motel in Jackson.  This spot is literally within easy walking distance from either the campground or the cabins.

Colter Bay Panorama

In a previous post, I mentioned that I'd photographed the entire bay as a panorama one morning.  I'm not sure that the resolution on this blog will show off a panorama format to very good effect, but we'll give it a try, I guess.  (I think I might try making a large print of this one for a church auction this fall, if it generates any interest.)

Tetons & Wildflowers

I found this good stand of wildflowers right beside a park viewpoint area along the inner road near Jenny Lake on the first morning of our stay in the park.

Lupine Meadows

Just to show that not all of the flowers blooming in the park this spring were yellow balsam root, this nice stand of lupines was found along the road that goes to the hiking trail called- you guessed it- Lupine Meadows.  On the morning that I photographed these, a large herd of elk were grazing at a distance in the meadow behind me.

Mr. Cunningham's View

Cunningham's Cabin is a historic spot in the park named for an early settler to the region.  Visitors are able to step inside his cabin, where I took the above photo showing the view that he had from his back window in the springtime.  I'm pretty sure that a winter in this cabin would be harsh!

1 comment: