Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Ancient Ruins of Hovenweep National Monument


My visit to Hovenweep was timed, in part, to get my visit in before the government shut down on October 1, 2013.  The day was sunny, warm, and very windy- if my hat blew off once, it must have blown off fifty times!  It was even hard to stand up without getting blown over, and the thought of getting blown into the deep canyon beside the ruins had no appeal to me.  I had planned to go to Bisti Badlands the following day, but a heavy rain blew into the area, and Bisti is probably not a good place to hike in the mud.  On my return to Ridgway the following morning, I even ran into heavy snow and sleet up on Molas Pass and Red Mountain Pass.  My sure-footed Frontier 4x4 pickup got me to my destination without any problem.

Tech info:  Canon 5DII (all images), various focal lengths


I've become increasingly interested in photographing ancient ruins over the past few years, since visiting sites such as House on Fire Ruin, Fallen Roof Ruin, Mesa Verde National Park, and Canyon de Chelly National Monument.


These structures are estimated to have been built between 1200 A.D. and 1300 A.D.


Most likely, these structures are in better shape now than my house will be in 700 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment